Monday, September 30, 2013

Whale Story

For the background on this post, check out my post on The Sea Devil.

In continuation of that post... 

The next evening, we took a look at another story. This one was actually just an excerpt, of a novel by the name Whale Story, by Cheryl Kaye Tardif. What made this novel awesome for us was that the setting was right across the inlet, in the town of Bamfield! 

Again, we analyzed what we read. In case you actually check out the novel... we read up to page 27 (the first two chapters). The topics we were to talk about this time were...
-your initial feelings/reactions to the protagonist
-your overall understanding of the developing theme
-your connection to the story considering where you read it!

To be completely honest, I'm not too sure what I think about this protagonist. She seems quite open-minded, yet arrogant at the same time. One thing that I can say without doubt is that the narration of the story reflects her and her age, providing more substance to the question of "who is she?".

Without knowing what is going to happen, I find it hard to predict a theme, as there are so many turns the story could take. So that brings me to one certainty: theme requires the whole picture to be visible. Otherwise, its just superficial.

Probably the best way to describe the connection of where we read this and the story itself is, well, weird. Its a constant inquiry into "is this true?" "is this right across the inlet?". I found myself feeling that I wanted these answers, and it partially took away the fictional aspect of the plot, even though it primarily was fictional. The story was fun, suspenseful, but mentally a challenge. But challenges aren't necessarily bad things :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!