Thursday, August 29, 2013

Summer Summary

As you may or may not know, this blog originates as a school project, but for me, that is only a fraction of the blog's purpose. So don't worry, posts aren't going to suddenly get super formal and serious. :)

School. Although it technically isn't fall until September 22nd, but when school starts, that kind of signifies the end of the summer spirit. Which means it's time to give you a summer summary! Or at least in terms of books and such.

To start, I'll just do a list. A superficial numeral summary. I have ordered it terms of when I read the book, so number one is the book I read at the start of summer, and so on.
  1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  2. That Summer by Sarah Dessen
  3. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  5. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
  6. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
  7. Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
  8. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
  9. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares
  10. Shards & Ashes compiled/edited by Mellisa Marr and Kelley Armstrong
  11. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
As you can see, I kind of went on a Sarah Dessen marathon. Her reads are essentially chick-flicks, but for summer I enjoyed them, as although they aren't my favourite genre, Dessen's writing was surprisingly deep, if you dared to explore.

Near the beginning of the summer, I took on both The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird, which were both phenomenally moving novels. They share the topic of discrimination and segregation, and therefore obviously had deep morals behind them. In case you haven't realized, I love anything deep and with lots of insight, so these books were awe-inspring and very memorable.


To end off this post... What am I reading now? Along with a book about debate (the season starts soon!!!), I am spending my time observing the words of Lock and Key, yet another Sarah Dessen novel. The topic of this one is something I don't connect to, but I enjoy Dessen's writing, and I had it on hold from the library and didn't want to return it without reading it.

Read, subscribe, smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!