Monday, May 27, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (May 28)






The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates from The Broke and The Bookish. Check it out and consider taking part too!

This meme is a weekly top-ten list category. I'll try my best to follow this weekly, so yeah! Keep checking back, and make sure to go to The Broke and The Bookish where this awesome idea is from!

May 28
Freebie: I'm going to do last week's topic, which I missed:
Top Ten Favourite Book Covers of Books I've Read
*Pics all from goodreads
  1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - I guess this doesn't quite qualify yet, as I haven't read it as of today, but it is the very next book I am reading, and I just bought it tonight!!! This cover is a prime example of how graphic design can make a nearly perfect cover. (A.k.a. Dear publishers, stop with the overused photos, especially those of pretty girls, usually in dresses.). I love the simplicity of it, how the colours and fonts and basic shapes convey the message and are unbelievably intriguing. One word to describe this cover: magic. Nearly perfection :)



  2. A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass - (The one with the orange and the cat with the colourful title inside) A common theme, as seen above, is simplicity and graphic design. I love these kind of covers that take so much care of simple things like the font and colour, and use basically just that to convey an unbelievably strong and hooking message. The cover of A Mango-Shaped Space uses a symbolic, important element of the book (the cat, Mango) to highlight the title, and the use of colour is attractive and carries a strong connection to the story (Mia's Synesthesia).                                                                                   
  3. Stargirl and 
  4. Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli - These covers are true artistry. They both take graphic design to the next level by visually conveying the title in a meaningful, theme-appropriate way. The use of the star over the girl, and the addition of "Love," in the sequel creates an insanely effective, simplistic design, that gets the message across, and in a minimalistic way, which I believe really fits Stargirl's character and her down-to-earth, pure ways.                            
  5. Shine by Lauren Myracle - Ahhhhh! I love it so much! It is so beautiful and highlights the story in a very deep, symbolic way. I love holding this book in my hands and admiring the beauty of the discrete yet effective cover. Beautiful to both those unfamiliar to the story and those already having lived the story beautiful cover to cover.                                           
  6. Life as We Knew It and                                                                              
  7. The Dead and the Gone and 
  8. This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer - There's something just crazily intriguing about the connection between these three covers. They all use the key part to the story (the huge, close moon) to form a trilogy of covers and to then build upon that by visually showcasing the specifics to the tone of each novel and other important elements. Seems like a lot of background thought went into these covers. Yay for thinking :P
  9. And so many other books that I've missed and now I feel bad about missing
  10. And so many books that I have yet to read!!!
Now put a smile on your face, pour a cup of tea, and enjoy a book :)

Subscribe to my blog because that would be awesome :)
Hope you enjoyed and will continue to enjoy this post, my blog, and life :)

6 comments:

  1. I love these book covers! If you’d like to see mine, check out Jorie’s Top Ten Favorite Book Covers. Also, please check out my freebie TTT | Jorie’s Reads by Starry Night Elf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my list and commenting too!

      Delete
  2. Totally agreed about Shine. I very much want to read it, but I'm worried that I won't be able to handle the topic. The cover really is beautiful, though.

    Here's my TTT for the week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment on Shine. The subject matter was very, very intense, but Lauren Myracle wrote the book well so it came across in an authentic yet hopeful way. Its a really great read, maybe read some and stop if its too much?

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Really nice covers! Especially the three last ones! My TTT was also about book covers, but it was from books published in 2013! Subscribed to you! :)

    Joana @ Joana In The Sky With Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for subscribing! The last three definitely are breathtaking, especially how well they relate to each other :)

      Have a great day :)

      Delete

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!