Sunday, April 21, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (April 23)







The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates from The Broke and The Bookish. Check it out and consider taking part too!

This meme is a weekly top-ten list category. I try my best to follow this weekly, so yeah! Keep checking back, and make sure to go to The Broke and The Bookish where this awesome idea is from!

April 23
Top Ten books I thought I'd like more/less than I did!
(green means I liked it more than I expected, red means it was a dissapointment)
Pictures from goodreads.com
  1. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - My friends were and still are obsessed with the series, and spent a LOT of time trying to get me to read it. I'm sure glad I did! Harry Potter is by far my all-time favourite book, favourite series, favourite movie, Rowling's my favourite author... This read definitely was worth it. I'm truly obsessed now :)
  2. Uglies: Cutters by Scott Westerfeld - I absolutely loved the Uglies series, but the graphic novels didn't quite cut it. The first of the two published so far was pretty good, but the second really confused me, and I saw the characters in a way that I didn't like and couldn't connect with.

  3. A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass - Going into this book, I honestly just didn't know what to expect. In the end, it was one of my favourite reads, as the unique topic turned out to be very engaging.                                                                                                                                             
  4. The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan - Having loved the Percy Jackson books, I was eager to read this novel, but it wasn't nearly as awesome as his Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series.
  5. Warriors by Erin Hunter - Another series that my friends went crazy about and kind of forced me to read. One of my favourite series at that time, and I still think they're really interesting books.
  6. Blood Red Road by Moira Young - At first I was really eager to read this novel and thought it would be really good. This was further fed when my friends read it and loved it. However, I started a couple pages, and was on the same page for a month or two. I just had no motivation to read it. As it turned out, the book was awesome, and I'm glad I ended up finishing it, as it was definitely a worthy read!
  7. I usually try to have a fairly open mind when starting new book/series, so my list is short and sweet and bookishly neat :)
Anyways, have a wonderful day, and hopefully you enjoyed my short post!
Subscribe, comment, and read books :)

17 comments:

  1. I agree with HP! As for The Red Pyramid, I agree that it's not as good as the Percy ones, but then for me, it's a great change from the Greek mythology that we see everywhere, so I liked it. :) I already expected it because my ultimate favorite is Greek, but I wanted to read other myths so I picked it up. Plus, it's Riordan :D
    Top Ten Tuesday
    Check This Out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point about a change from greek mythology :) I agree it was refreshing, but at the same time a bit confusing for me, as I am so used to the greek myths and gods that I had trouble with a whole new set of them.
      Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  2. I agree about Blood Red Road - the first time I started it, I stopped because I hated the way it was written. But when I started it again and read all the way through, I actually thought it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way its written is definitely hard to get used to, but once you do get used to it, I think its nice because it really sets a tone for the story.
      Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  3. The Harry Potter series is fabulous. One of my favourite series. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kane Chronicles are fun but no where near as good as the Percy Jackson books. They just kinda feel like a lamer version

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree so much! Personally I would have liked Riordan to have worked more on the Percy Jackson books, as the Kane Chronicles were a let down in comparison

      Delete
  5. I think HP series blew most people away. It's crazy how such a simple story about a boy in a wizard world can take over the entire world! I haven't read the rest of these, except for the Uglies series by Westerfeld. But I never checked out the graphic novels, and I'm sort of glad I didn't!

    You're smart for keeping an open-mind when reading. I find it difficult to not have some sort of expectation prior to reading any book based off recommendations, the author, the summary, the cover, etc. I guess I'm prone to judging! ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say, I do judge books by the cover and title a lot, but personally, I think that's important, as those things are supposed to share the story of the book.

      Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  6. I had the same reaction with The Red Pyramid! I loved Percy Jackson but Kane Chronicles just didn't do it for me :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased when Heroes of Olympus came out so I continue with Percy Jackson, as I do like Riordan's writing.

      Delete
  7. A Mango-Shaped Space sounds really interesting, I was just reading the synopsis on goodreads. Thanks for the heads up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its one my favourite books! I definitely recommend it :)

      Delete
  8. So So So glad you ended up loving HP. I love when I go into a book with lower expectations, and then am blown away. And I couldn't agree more with you about The Red Pyramid. It was boring, and the different gods didn't have strong personalities like they do in PJ & the Olympians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was almost like the gods and myths were more forced in and so didn't really develop the story like in PJ and the Olympians.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  9. I loved how you put up your list! Harry Potter is amazing! When I was 10 (right before the movies came out) I refused to read the books. After seeing the movies I read them in one sitting. I couldn't stop!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!