Monday, January 21, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (Jan. 22)




The Top Ten Tuesday meme originates from The Broke and The Bookish. Check it out and consider taking part too!

This meme is a weekly top-ten list category. I'll try my best to follow this weekly, so yeah! Keep checking back, and make sure to go to The Broke and The Bookish where this awesome idea is from!

January 22nd
Top Ten Settings I'd Like to See More Of


  1. Portals into different realms. What do I mean by this? Examples include: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, Wings/Fairy Lies by E.D. Baker. These settings are soooo awesome for imagination and believing in fantasy, and I will never get tired of them. Sometimes life in the "real" world is tough, so its nice to escape into a new land sometimes.                                            
  2. Living on farms. Examples include: Ten Miles Past Normal by (I forget...), A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. These books are always unique and I love it when nature and freedom and similar subjects are tied into the book.
  3. Very controlled societies (generally dystopia) (and generally the protagonist breaks free of this society). Examples include: The Declaration by Gemma Malley, the Uglies quartet by Scott Westerfeld, Inside Out/Outside In by Maria V. Snyder. The joy in these is usually the protagonist finding a way out or fighting against corruption, etc. and I always enjoy those awesome rebels.
  4. The world of Harry Potter. No explanation needed.
  5. Underground societies. Examples include: City of Ember by Jeanne DePrau. Such a fascinating, foreign place that really makes you think about different possibilities of where people could be living in the present or future.
  6. Third-world-ish, poor dystopia societies. Examples: District 12 and may other districts from the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Sometimes its nice when the corruption of dystopian societies is recognized by everyone, and ya. Hunger Games is awesome, and it was the first time I had come across a dystopia that wasn't essentially making people have a good life.
  7. Timeless settings. As in, settings and time periods that could be just about anywhere or anytime. Allows for plenty of imagination and personal connection.
  8. Mountains and/or mountain communities. Examples include: The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. These are so unique and refreshing and I personally feel really connected. Both wilderness adventure and non-wilderness adventure are awesome.
  9. How about an underwater society that is NOT about mermaids and NOT from the perspective of aquatic life such as fish? I mean, I don't have anything against mermaids, but how about something more original please?
  10. Mazes or huge games. Examples, both of which I have yet to read: The Maze Runner, Ready Player One. These are so fascinating, and really bring a new perspective on life and the meaning of life and society as a whole. 
Smiley face :)

Subscribe to my blog because that would be awesome :)
Hope you enjoyed and will continue to enjoy this post, my blog, and life :)

17 comments:

  1. I agree with mountains and underwater landscapes! They can be done so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! The few books I've read set in mountains were AWESOME, and I'd love to see more of them, and not just wilderness type books, though those are nice too.

      Delete
  2. I also put HP. The rest sound incredible as well.

    Congrats on your new-ish blog. I'm a new GFC follower. Feel free to follow back if you'd like to.

    Here's mine

    ~Danica Page

    Taking It One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm following yours now! Go HP!!!!

      Delete
  3. Under water is on my list too. Although I love mermaids, I agree with you. Great choices!

    Here's my Top Ten: www.best-of-ya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your list! You had some really cool ones, and I agree with lots of yours too, especially road trips.

      Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my TTT! I took a look at yours at its awesome! In fact, I love your blog as a whole :)

      Delete
  5. Great list. I'd love to read stories set in different realms, very controlled societies, and underwater socities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog! Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  6. Wow great list! We have a lot in common! :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog! By the way, I LOVE your blog title!

      Delete
  7. Obviously I need some more of Harry Potter's world! I agree there needs to be more timeless settings and some variety in underwater settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Harry Potter!!! It makes me so happy to know just how many people know how awesome HP is :)

      Delete
  8. More farm settings would be fantastic! Terrific Top Ten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Farms are awesome and not written about nearly enough. :)

      Delete
  9. Julia! Your blog is just so awesome! I love to come to your blog for some super fun and entertaining book-ey posts! As for this specific post, I love it. I totally agree with all of your top ten settings; more of these are definitely needed. I especially like numbers 3, 4, and 9 though. More Harry Potter is a must. Also, I have yet to read Inside Out by Maria V. Synder..I absolutely adored Poison Study by Synder, what did you think of this book??? Have you read Poison Study yet? As for Maze Runner, you MUST read it immediately! I liked it... a lot!!! Anyway, overall your blog is just fantastic, I look forward to more blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!