Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Mango-Shaped Space - Special Book Review

Hi!

This is a book review. But this is not just any book review. This book review is special. No only did I critique the book, I reviewed a peers review of the book. Crazy, isn't it?!?!?

Anyways, this time I am reviewing A Mango-Shaped Space, which is by Wendy Mass. My first paragraph is responding to a peers review, which you can check out here
My second paragraph is simply a review of the book and how awesomely awesome it is!!!

*I didn't write a summary, so check out the Goodreads summary


A Mango-Shaped Space
by Wendy Mass

            Spirited characters, a unique storyline, phenomenal description, and expertly used words. According to Alex, all of these are key aspects that make A Mango-Shaped Space such a captivating book, and I couldn’t agree more! Mia, the main character, has a condition known as synesthesia, and this is the basis to the plot that both Alex and I thought was so splendid. Expanding on Alex’s view, I believe that the reader’s yearning to explore the unique concept was what gave Mass’s storyline such an enchanting quality. Alex made a strong point in saying the establishment of characters was great, and I will add on by saying that this allowed the reader to understand Mia and the way she sees the world. A point of contradiction between what I think and what Alex said is in regards to description. Alex describes it as phenomenal, but I wouldn’t label it that way. Very few rich, “juicy” words and phrases were present, however I still adored how Mass expressed things, such as: “Everyone thinks I named my cat Mango because of his orange eyes, but that’s not the case. I named him Mango because the sounds of his purrs and his wheezes and his meows are all various shades of yellow-orange.” (pg. _), which tells us about Mango, Mia, and her synesthesia, all in one intriguing thought. Overall, if you ask Alex or if you ask me, this book is pure awesome!

            Synesthesia is quite a foreign, almost supernatural condition, but when reading A Mango-Shaped Space, the concept isn’t confusing, but rather the reader gets to explore Mia’s confusion. Consequently, her journey to understand her life is one that the reader can share. This journey was a stunning story, however I felt that the pacing of the book was merely so-so. Throughout the book, things often happened too quickly or suddenly for emotions to develop in response to the events. That being said, the reader was still given a prime seat on the emotional rollercoaster of Mia’s discoveries and life with synesthesia. Because of this, connecting to characters was easy, such as Mia’s desire to be normal: “I’m going to be so normal that when people look up normal in the dictionary, my name will be there.” (pg. 43) Also, I found deep meaning in the way Mass communicated the idea of the power of positivity, which I could personally connect to, especially the fact that Mia found happiness through nature and its freedom. Overall, Mass’s novel was a phenomenal portal into a new realm of questions, and to me, that is the perfect type of book. Lastly, the novel’s ending was abru -




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!