Monday, September 17, 2012

The Hobbit - Book Review

THE HOBBIT
By J.R.R. Tolkien
Review by ME!

Taken away from the contentment of his comfortable hobbit-hole, Bilbo Baggins finds himself alongside dwarves and the great wizard Gandalf on an epic journey to reclaim what has become the desolation of Smaug, the magnificent dragon. Even before reaching the land of their foe, the comrades experience a handful of unexpected bumps along the road, from goblins and trolls to their own wits and ways. What Mr. Baggins feels is pure luck brings him to discover loyalties, truths, and lies, all of which are put into a whirlwind of change as the fantastical adventure unfolds. 

To most, J.R.R. Tolkien means The Lord of the Rings, but before this masterpiece comes The Hobbit. Folklore and adventure form this tale, but behind the veil of fantasy, themes such as self-discovery and evolving loyalties can be uncovered. Just like his descendants, Bilbo Baggins preferred a quiet, average life, but along his journey, we can see his personal evolution into a proactive and adventurous hobbit, revealing the Took side in him. As the book states, This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure.” Personally, I was engaged by the ironic fact that the character was formed so strongly by the author, although the character himself hadn’t actually discovered his full extent. One of my favourite things in fictional books is having settings and details strong enough to truly take your mind to a different place. I found this more than present throughout this tale, and that is what truly tied me in. Though some may find it too archaic, I really appreciated the strong literary style that Tolkien used. For the most part, it was easy to follow, and yet contained sentence and paragraph structures that most of us wouldn’t normally consider using. Overall there was an intriguing sense of connection between various parts to form the book as a whole, my favourite connection being through Bilbos frequent wishes to be back at home. To all kinds of readers, grab the book, and answer my question: are you ready for a journey?


MY RATING: ******** 8/10

3 comments:

  1. So far this a really great book review! Are you done it yet? I enjoyed reading it, and the language you used in the review sounded very professional. A few things: delete the spaces at the top of the review!!! Do you have anything negative or constructive to say? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya i'm done
    any comments??? suggestions??? edits???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :D I totally agree with everything you said; how am I to disagree with anything in my review? Anywho, I suppose I will have to find other aspects to talk about in the second paragraph. :D PS. I love, love, LOVE your last sentence. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!