Saturday, September 29, 2012

Radiance - Opening LIne


Opening lines are so important, as they really capture the reader and must sell the book. Therefore, it was no surprise that searching for one of these golden lines was of the library challenges I did. There are many good openings out there, but one that I had recently come across was that from "Radiance", a book by Alyson Noel. So, here it is:
It is more than a sentence, but it is one thought. In fact, the lines are actually the whole first chapter. Though my friend was the one who suggested the book, I was very drawn in and captured by this beginning, which explained a number of things, via creating new questions and mysteries. It encompasses the big theme of the main character's life being cut short, and she must come to realize in the Here & Now (afterlife land) that she must move on as those around her have, and come to accept that she must live and enjoy her new life. 
I wrote this poem very quickly and randomly and haven't at all edited, so please don't judge... 
Stunning blue paints the cover,
greeting my hand as it flips open the front,
revealing the awaiting fantasy inside.
Beige-tinged white fills my sight,
Scrolling beauty encompasses the number 1,
bold words sit below the towering numeral.
The dark lettering is irrestible.
I read it.
"Most people think that death is the end. The end of life - of good times - the end of, well, pretty much everything. But those people are wrong. Dead wrong. And I should know. I died almost a year ago."
Like a hook,
it draws me in.
My mind is ready,
the journey is set.
With questions forming,
i must read on.
This flawless beginning has set the bar
What mysteries are past what I have read so far?
For a mere two days, I lend my soul,
exploring the realms of Here & Now
Joining the afterlife adventure
Looking back, I realize
The opening is everything
Exactly the story:
Accept what has come
It is like the old life, but new
Move one, be true
And by the end, I have one question.
When can I go get the next book?
Opening line of the book "Radiance", by Alyson Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for acknowledging my blog and love of literature!